The Ailing Zoo Dogs

>> Friday, August 17, 2007

Today I took our black and white dog to the vet because she has been running around only using 3 legs for the past 3 days. The first day you aren't sure what happened but then you watch them the 2nd day and finally have to call the vet if it is still happening on the 3rd day, at least that is what we do at our house. So off I go with a gimp dog and the two girls - sound fun? Thankfully they got us right in to see the Dr., who we really love and you have to love your vet when you have as many animals as we do in the zoo. They weighed our little porker, 18lbs, and gave her the shots she needed. After all of that was out of the way they concentrated on her ailment - it has been diagnosed as a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament. Poor thing, I just thought she had a splinter that I couldn't see and here it is something pretty painful. We talked about what we can do for her and decided to hold off on any surgury until at least the end of September to see if just having her take it easy will help. She got some pain drugs and as I type is living the good life laying on the couch. This is actually our 2nd vet visit in the past 2 weeks because we had to take in our Chihuahua to get a gland popped (tmi I know). Matt decided to get the Maltese in for shots at the same time and the vet decided that she needed to run some blood work on her because she is losing some of her hair. Our little white dog has hyperthyroidism (or was it hypo??) and will most likely have to be on some medicine for the rest of her life - I tell you when it rains it poors over here. I think that we have paid the vets rent and all of his employees wages this month and we still have 1 dog to bring in there - ugh! Our dogs and cats were our practice kiddies and we love them so much. We will do whatever it takes to get them back to perfect health.

Why I love my husband - we are alike and he gets me :) Not everyone gets my humor, probably because I am not very funny, but my husband does. Today while I was talking with the vet assistant about Mabel she was telling me about some things that we could do for her, I said "Or we could just amputate it right?" - well, when I told Matt about what had happened at the appointment he said "Wouldn't it be easier just to cut if off?" Of course we were both kidding but the assistant's mouth dropped because she thought I was serious and my husband would have done the same thing as I did to her. See, not funny to anyone but us - love you honey!

3 comments:

Anonymous Friday, August 17, 2007  

I loved your post... my husband and I have the same kind of relationship! I remember when I was pregnant with my first son, during the sonogram the technician said to us, "so there's the baby"... and my husband goes, "so it's definitely not a cat, huh?" She was speechless, but we both started laughing. Sort of that, only we get each other type thing!
I'm glad your dog will be getting better!! I love animals!!
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues Girls

Darcys Knotty Knitter Sunday, August 19, 2007  

Why I love my husband - we are alike and he gets me :) Not everyone gets my humor, probably because I am not very funny, but my husband does.
This is how I feel also my hubby gets me he is my best friend we both have a sarcastic sense of humor.lol Darcy

Anonymous Saturday, September 08, 2007  

Jessie... the amputation line was hilarious to me :-)!!!

With a dog that is so accident / sickness prone I get it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Me.

My photo
I am 45 years old and married to my best friend Matthew. We are the parents of 3 girls, 2 dogs, and a cat. This is the story of us, try to stay awake.
Eighty MPH Mom Contributors

Followers

Blog Archives

My Wee View
Photobucket
Natalie's Sentiments
mommas gone over the wall






BWS tips button

My Reads

Twitter Buttons