October 28, 2010

>> Friday, October 29, 2010

Thursday started out as any other day around here. Piper had a little dress up activity for school which made us run a little late in the morning. Then Violet had a pj party at her preschool so we got ready for that as well. Like I said, normal. After Ruby and I got home from dropoff I noticed that she seemed a little tired but we still played for a bit and then I decided to lay down and nurse her so that she could rest before we had to pick up Violet at noon. She felt a little warm but it is still mid 80's here and I am hot as heck myself so I blew it off. Before we left to pick up Violet she seemed much warmer so I decided to take her temp just to see what it was and it came back 101.2 so I gave her some Tylenol and we left. Before we got to the main road I heard her scream but it wasn't a normal Ruby scream it was weird. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw her staring up at the ceiling. I called to her but she didn't respond so I immediately pulled over. She wasn't responding to me at all and then she started to have a seizure. Her little eyes rolled back in her head and she was shaking. There was nothing I could do for her. The next few minutes will forever be tattooed on my brain. I got my phone and dialed 911. It felt like an eternity for the ambulance to get to us but it was only around 6 minutes. Damn Brawley traffic. I was trying to talk to her, the 911 operator, and then just plain crying my eyes out. I left panicked voicemails to Matt and my friend Rachael. No one was answering so in addition to what was going on I was worried who would get Violet? Who would be there for Piper to get off the bus? The EMS got Ruby and I into the ambulance put an IV with fluids in her and we were off. While in the ambulance both Matt and Rachael called back. Thank goodness for Matt being off this weekend so he was able to come up from work and be with us. We got to the hospital and Ruby was just clinging to me. Matt arrived almost the same time with Violet - think he drove a little fast? It appeared that what Ruby had was called a Febrile Seizure which is a seizure brought on by your temperature rising very quickly. Then they started talking CT scan and blood work. The worry that you feel when they talk about the alternative possibilities is overwhelming. The CT came back fine but her blood work revealed a high white cell count so we had to also get a chest x-ray and she had to have a catheter to get a urine sample. My poor baby had a seizure, was poked, prodded, x-rayed, and now the uncomfortable catheter inserted all in one day. Bless her heart she was so good the entire time we were at the hospital. I am so thankful to still be nursing b/c I don't think that I could have comforted her w/o it. She nursed for probably 3 hours while we were there. Yes, much of that time I was her pacifier but I will gladly be that for her if it makes her feel safe in a very strange situation. Finally 4 hours later everything came back ok and we were free to go. She will see her regular doctor today (Friday). I can't stop crying over it. Everytime I think of my baby having that seizure I burst into tears. We are so lucky that it wasn't as serious as it could have been and hopefully this will be an isolated incident.

I want to say I will eternally be grateful to Rachael for checking her voicemail before heading in to volunteer with her daughter's kindergarten class. Taking our older girls made our day that much easier. I know that the EMS won't read my blog (lol) but his name was Dan and he was fabulous! Took excellent care of my babe and calmed me as well. I don't know that emergency nurse's name at the hospital but she was fabulous! She was caring and sweet with our baby even though she had to do uncomfortable things to her. There were many nurses that heard a baby was in the ER and popped their heads into our room, it was nice they all seemed to care about her. Our hospital gets a bad rap sometimes but they came through for our family yesterday.


Michelle G Friday, October 29, 2010  

Oh my heart goes out to you all.Lifting you up in prayer. That is such a scary helpless feeling when it's one of our babies. (at any age but even more so when they can't TELL you what is wrong and you can't tell them it's okay....)
Thank God for nursing - :) that kind of mama comfort is priceless at those times!
Much love to you. Thank you for sharing...

Jen Friday, October 29, 2010  

Oh my. That is so scary. I am so glad she is ok. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Mrs. Stam Friday, October 29, 2010  

So sorry to hear this praying that she will be ok that it's a isolated incident!!!

Joey Lynn Resciniti Friday, October 29, 2010  

There is nothing scarier. I'm glad you were such a comfort to her and everything turned out alright.

Kimberly Friday, October 29, 2010  

Heart.in.my.throat. Oh Jessie. What a traumatic event for you and Ruby. I'll be thinking about you two and hoping Ruby is as good as new before you know it.

Kate O Friday, October 29, 2010  

I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Praying for you guys and I am glad little Ruby is feeling better!

Kelly Friday, October 29, 2010  

Oh my goodness, I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is scary sometimes how similar our lives really are. Jillian had the same thing happen twice before. Check out my post if for no other reason than it will help you realize you are not alone with this.




I know they say it is from the fever going up, but I swear for Jillian it was from the medicine bringing it down. Both times within 15 minutes of giving her meds, she had the seizure. Now when she has a fever I give her the dose broken into 4 smaller doses with about 15 min. in between. She hasn't had another one yet. Who knows, maybe she just outgrew it. But it is terrifying! So sorry you had to experience that terror.

Unknown Friday, October 29, 2010  

Prayers for you and your sweet little gal...may the Lord keep you all safe.

A Saturday, October 30, 2010  

Oh Jessie, how scary!! I'm glad the little one is ok now. Hugs to you!!

hipMomma Saturday, October 30, 2010  

Febrile seizures are so common but when they happen to your child are they are so frightening! So glad everything worked out and that she is back to normal in no time.

Chrissy Saturday, October 30, 2010  

I'm so sorry you both had to go through that scary experience. I have heard of them and know a mom who went through them with her 3rd girl (coincidence!)...she had 4 of them from age 1-3. She out grew them. I'd like to think I'd stay calm in a situation like that, but the chills came when you wrote about her eyes rolling. That's when you know your heart is sitting in a carseat in the backseat. So glad you were able to comfort her in the ER. Nothing like a momma's love! xoxo to you two.

Andrea Saturday, October 30, 2010  

It sounds like you handled it all so well...how completely scary that would be though!! I'm really glad that your little princess seems to be okay now and hopefully you'll never ever have to experience that again!

Buckeroomama Tuesday, November 02, 2010  

Oh, I so feel for you! That has got to be one of the most horrible moments ever. I hope you won't EVER had to go through that again.

Both J and Z had gastro-related seizures at 21 months and it was just so scary to see that happen. Both had to be hospitalized overnight and it was really traumatic (as much on us parents as it was for them).

Michelle G Tuesday, November 02, 2010  


Please go there - she has a wonderful blog and today it may just be a comfort and source of great information for you :)


Cara Wednesday, November 03, 2010  

OMG Jessie I know exactly how you felt and feel. I went through the same ordeal with Francesco when he was 18 months old. I was holding him when it occurred too. It was the scariest moment of my life.
It's will make you overly caution when it comes to fevers from now on but that will get better over time. Come to find out my husband had a febrile seizure when he was young and that predisposed our children in getting them.
*hugs, hugs, hugs*
If you need anything let me know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails


My photo
I am 45 years old and married to my best friend Matthew. We are the parents of 3 girls, 2 dogs, and a cat. This is the story of us, try to stay awake.
Eighty MPH Mom Contributors


Blog Archives

My Wee View
Natalie's Sentiments
mommas gone over the wall

BWS tips button

My Reads

Twitter Buttons