Wordful Wednesday - To fill or not to fill.

>> Wednesday, August 4, 2010

We took both older girls to the dentist back in June. While the dentist was looking at Violet's teeth after the cleaning he noticed that she had a pit in one of her back teeth. She has very deep grooves and he told me that it would be hard to keep that area clean. Food would get stuck down there and he couldn't say that a cavity would happen for sure but it there was a good possibility. He suggested filling it. There would be no numbing or gas. It would be 5 short minutes. If she handled it ok it would be a white filling rather than silver. No big deal. To me it is a big deal though. They are putting her first filling in. I had the worst teeth growing up and had to sit in the dentist chair more than I would like to remember. I screamed and cried. They wouldn't let my grandma come back with me in those days. Matt and I talked about it and it would be better to do it now when there wouldn't be any pain rather than wait and potentially have to have a cavity filled. We chose to do it. It was this morning. I was nervous, Violet was not. My stomach was sick, she held Bunny Baby and laughed with the assistant. Ruby and Piper were with us and the room was very small so I wasn't able to be there with her. I had the worst feeling when they shut that door. What kind of mother lets her daughter go and get something like this done and not be in there with her? The pictures of my having to go kicking and screaming back into "the room" flashed in my mind over and over again. Then, 4 1/2 minutes later, she came out. Still smiling. "It didn't hurt at all" she said. "Look at my new tiara mama". The dentist said she did great but that he saw that we are going to have problems as most of her back teeth are grooved as this one was. That means more trips to the dentist for Violet. I hope my heart can take it :)

You can see the filling on the right side. You can also see the food still stuck in her teeth from breakfast. Maybe I shouldn't have let her brush her own teeth before the dentist :) I let the girls do the morning and I come through and brush them at night.



She took the tiara off b/c it hurt her head after awhile. Today was beach day at the dentist's office so she wore her swim cover up and sea shell shorts.


She was feeling good enough to go to story time at the library. They gave us 2 fish for the girls. I guess that will be a whole other post. A fish! *shaking head*

More WW @

8 comments:

Joey Lynn Resciniti Wednesday, August 04, 2010  

Stupid deep pits. I have those too and they've plagued me right into adulthood.

I do the same thing with brushing - the kiddos have to learn to do it themselves somehow.

Staci A Wednesday, August 04, 2010  

So glad she got through it easily! But I'm sorry to hear that it sounds like she'll have issues. I had the worst dentist experiences growing up too, and dreaded taking my son. Fortunately, he loves it.

Good luck!

Muthering Heights Wednesday, August 04, 2010  

My daughter has deep pits too...so far, no fillings though.

I can imagine that was very hard on you as her Mama! :(

Buckeroomama Wednesday, August 04, 2010  

She's a trooper!

I let the kids brush their own teeth and then I do a once-over...

Michelle @Flying Giggles Thursday, August 05, 2010  

So brave! Aiyana has the same pit in her tooth, actually, the same tooth. Food is always getting stuck in it. I am going to think about doing this to save her some pain in the future.

Anonymous Thursday, August 05, 2010  

I hate the dentist. Thankfully my boys dont, not yet anyways.

A fish? From the library?

Kimberly Thursday, August 05, 2010  

I just had dental work done, and it was no picnic. I'm so not a fan of dentists. But then I think about that scene in Castaway when he had the bad tooth he had to knock out with the blade of an iceskate, and then the dentist doesn't seem so bad. LOL! Better to do something about it now then later. Hopefully that will save her some problems later on.

And yeah, weird. A fish at the library? Huh.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? Sunday, August 08, 2010  

So glad it was easy for her. I have deep pits, too. If I eat a strawberry, I will have seeds stuck in my teeth.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Me.

My photo
I am 45 years old and married to my best friend Matthew. We are the parents of 3 girls, 2 dogs, and a cat. This is the story of us, try to stay awake.
Eighty MPH Mom Contributors

Followers

Blog Archives

My Wee View
Photobucket
Natalie's Sentiments
mommas gone over the wall






BWS tips button

My Reads

Twitter Buttons