World Breastfeeding Week (Aug 1-7, 2010)

>> Sunday, August 1, 2010

"While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent,
it is the best choice for every baby." Amy Spangler

Breastfeeding is a subject near and dear to my heart. I remember the struggles I had trying to get Piper to latch correctly. How when I was visiting a lactation consultant she would nurse but we would completely fall apart when at home alone. That LC made me feel so inadequate. I felt like it was something that I should know how to do b/c I was a woman and now a mother. Feeding my child should come naturally. It doesn't always work that way for a lot of new mamas and my journey to breastfeeding ended 2 weeks later and I attached myself to a pump for the next 12 months rather than my daughter. My milk had gone away substantially at that time b/c I was 3 months pregnant with our Violet so I threw in the towel. Over the course of that pregnancy I was determined to make breastfeeding work no matter what. Since this was basically my first time as a nursing mama I saw lactation for 2 weeks after she arrived. We worked hard and I happily breastfed our Violet for the next 21 months. Suddenly I am not a person who believes that you magically don't need breast milk anymore when your babe turns a year old. Ruby is still nursing strong at 16 months. When will she stop? I don't know but why fix what isn't broken?




I love that there is a World Breastfeeding Week. Over the course of the next week I will happily visit other mama's blogs from all over the world who are celebrating the week as I am. Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing and I love sharing my story with other ladies that maybe, like me, had a bad experience. I want to encourage them b/c it can be a very beautiful and fulfilling time in their lives, at least it has been for me.

6 comments:

Joey Lynn Resciniti Sunday, August 01, 2010  

I had to quit breastfeeding after 8 weeks because I had to start taking meds that would be excreted in breastmilk. That failure was really tough on me. It took me a solid three years to get over it.

I hope this week brings awareness to the benefits without overlooking how tough the task truly is.

Liz Mays Monday, August 02, 2010  

I had a few periods where I had some pain, probably due to the babies not latching on properly. That was hard to work through, but I did it. I think I nursed about 9 months for each of my kids and then I moved them directly to the cup, no bottle. :)

Buckeroomama Monday, August 02, 2010  

With my son, whom I breastfed for 18 months, I never "fully" got into it. I was pumping and I was supplementing with formula. But with my daughter, I was determined to exclusively breastfeed at least for at least a month, which turned to 3, then 6... now she's 3yo and I still nurse her at night. She's not ready to give that up yet, although she says that once she starts kindergarten this fall, she will stop. We'll see. :)

Michelle @Flying Giggles Monday, August 02, 2010  

This is fabulous! Breastfeeding is so important. I really wish that I had more support when I was trying to breastfeed with Aiyana. I gave up and had to deal with a lot of mommy guilt for it.

Kimberly Monday, August 02, 2010  

The photo, wow. Look at that eye contact. I miss that so much with Raya now that she's weaned. And you know, here at 28 months, she still occasionally asks to nurse...

I had a really hard time and difficult experience with Bryce. I wanted to breastfeed him, but imagined that it would "just happen". I didn't know it was something you had to work at, and sadly, I gave up on it with him. Funny how something like that can stick with you.

Drea Tuesday, August 03, 2010  

so sweet... i still wish i was nursing owen... but do know my decision to stop was what was best... i still remember those cries he had from starving... and my not producing hardly anything... i mean we almost put him through the torture of having a tube up his lil wee wee to see if his plumbing worked! because he only pee'd once a day for almost 2 weeks :(
hes so content and happy now... but I do still cherish those times we did have... and will try again a 4th time when that comes :)
So glad its going well for you. such a blessing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Me.

My photo
I am 45 years old and married to my best friend Matthew. We are the parents of 3 girls, 2 dogs, and a cat. This is the story of us, try to stay awake.
Eighty MPH Mom Contributors

Followers

Blog Archives

My Wee View
Photobucket
Natalie's Sentiments
mommas gone over the wall






BWS tips button

My Reads

Twitter Buttons