A Bittersweet Day

>> Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Most breastfeeding mamas come to a point (I think) where they want their body back and maybe to sleep through the night once in awhile. Maybe I am in the minority but I doubt it. It isn't that I think that I have been nursing Ruby for SO long or anything because I know many who nurse much longer. My oldest will turn 6 this week and I have been either pregnant, nursing, or pregnant AND nursing for almost 7 years. If Ruby only still casually wanted to breastfeed I would continue in a heartbeat but this child wants it all.the.time! During the day she was grabbing at my shirt constantly so we weaned that a few weeks ago. I enjoyed nursing her before bed but she continued to wake up multiple times during the night as well. Last week when we returned from Florida I decided it was time and when my husband left for his business trip I did it. If you have ever had to do this before it is absolutely heartbreaking. The first night Ruby begged and cried. I cried as well and just held her and attempted to calm her down. This went on throughout the night. 4 times that first night to be exact. The second night was better and she only woke up 3 times. She didn't cry like the night before either. I calmed her down while rubbing her back until she fell back to sleep. Each night since it has gotten a little bit easier but she still wakes up 2 or 3 times and I am still calming her back to sleep. Perhaps this milestone has affected me so deeply because it is the end of my babies being babies. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the beautiful girls that Piper and Violet are becoming but my Ruby will likely be my last baby and it is hard for me sometimes to come to terms with that. This is by far my favorite shot of nursing our Ruby and might be one of the very first selfie shots that I ever did (taken 7/2010). I adore everything about it.

breastfeeding Ruby

Sweet Shot Day

7 comments:

Susan Tuesday, July 12, 2011  

Well I sure have been in the exact place you are in.

I nursed all 5 of my sons and loved every minute of it.

What a great shot. Love everything about it.

A memory you'll cherish forever!

deb duty Tuesday, July 12, 2011  

You captured this moment perfectly. It's a beautiful photo.

Mimi Tuesday, July 12, 2011  

beautiful shot. I wish i loved nursing and wish i had a beautiful picture like this.

Tara Tuesday, July 12, 2011  

Aw, hugs, Momma. You did amazing and have an absolutely beautiful capture. HUGS

Ashley Sisk Tuesday, July 12, 2011  

I have no idea what this feels like (well not yet). Beautiful moment.

CaveGurl Monday, July 18, 2011  

Love the shot! It is perfect in every way! We went through the same thing with our little guy a couple of months ago. It is tough but everyone sleeps better now and is happier during the day too!

Corey~living and loving Wednesday, July 20, 2011  

oh girl....I know the feeling of losing the "baby". :( Sugar is my only, and stopping breastfeeding was so hard for me. Of course we were major long termers....so it wasn't hard to actually stop, but the idea of it...the reality.....was mentally difficult on both of us.
hugs!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Me.

My photo
I am 45 years old and married to my best friend Matthew. We are the parents of 3 girls, 2 dogs, and a cat. This is the story of us, try to stay awake.
Eighty MPH Mom Contributors

Followers

Blog Archives

My Wee View
Photobucket
Natalie's Sentiments
mommas gone over the wall






BWS tips button

My Reads

Twitter Buttons